Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Project T


I think I was in middle school when became mildly obsessed with decoding the sinuous line and shape language of my favorite mechs from anime and manga has been. Production art from shows like Fang of the Sun Dougram and Gundam appeared on the instruction sheets of several of the scale model kits from Japan I built going back as far as 1984. I wouldn't know until years later that these amazing designs were from TV shows, most of which never came to the U.S. Other titles included Crusher Joe, Votoms, Super Dimension Century Orguss, Saint Seiya, S.F.3.D., and Diaclone. I mainly bought Appleseed (Eclipse Comics) for the covers and to look at the mechs and other vehicles inside.

A couple of years of following G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero in comics and via the original Hasbro toy line reinforced a parallel interest in military vechicles and equipment, both real and imagined.

I still dedicate the occasional sketchbook page to exploring mech designs. If time allows, I hope to turn this one into an inked and toned illustration using Clip Studio Paint.


No comments: