Pages

Monday, May 8, 2017

Sketchbook Comic

Everything Is Intercourse Sketchbook Comic
Recently, I experimented with taking a long pose (15 minutes) from a life drawing session and integrating it into a visual narrative. I greatly enjoy any practice with live models, but sometimes a new and challenging approach is needed to make the sketchbook time more valuable to my learning.

Many years ago when I was an undergrad studying graphic design, a classmate shared with me one of her thesis ideas. She wanted to explore abundance of mundane, physical actions that may be in some way made analogous to sexual intercourse. I decided to revisit her idea using a series of symbolic visuals and a simple, monochromatic color scheme in reference to her red hair, and red as an occasional symbol of sensuality and eroticism.

This turned out to be a good exercise in exploring a visual narrative and a more detail and texture-driven style of inking. The panels take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to sketch and ink and I tried doing one a day during my downtime. This also turned out to be a good practice with using the 2-page spread for a complete study.

No comments: