Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

The Funk of 40,000 Years (An Inktober Event)

 
This will be my second year doing a series of drawings for INKtober. I chose the phrase "The Funk of 40,000 Years" from the Vincent Price cameo in Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' as a focus for the series. The drawings will be inspired by lyrics, images and themes from some of my favorite 80s funk, disco and soul songs. With Halloween and Dia De Los Muertos happening this month, I thought it appropriate to keep things crazy, creepy and surreal like the music. Here's my target list for the series:

The Funk of 40,000 Years

1. Alligator Woman
2. Atomic Dog
3. All-Day Sucker
4. Flashlight
5. Fantastic Voyage
6. Brick House
7. Skin Tight
8. Lady Cab Driver
9. Thriller
10. Erotic City
11. One Way Bus
12. Storm King (Bob James)
13. Bootzilla
14. Fire (Ohio Players)
15. Love Gun
16. Starfish and Coffee
17. The Groove Line
18. Super Freak
19. Lady Cab Driver
20. Stomp (The Brothers Johnson)
21. Strawberry Letter 23
22. Rubberband Man
24. Soul Finger (The Bar-Kays)
25. The Thing With the 40 Eyes
26. Freaks Come Out At Night
27. Knee Deep
28. Brick House
29. Serpentine Fire
30. Mind Blowing
31. Tamborine 

Below are the first ones. I should also attribute my attempts at incorporating text on some of them to the shining influence of Megan Lynne Kott and Justine Lawrence Levine. I like their stuff. By the way, I finally broke down and bought some Rapidograph white ink for my technical pens, so you can expect more white-on-black technique on some of these.

Onward.








No comments: